Book Review ~ Wretched Woman by Sammar Ally










 AN ENDING TAKES A LIFETIME TO REACH!

Time takes its toll on most; there is no escaping it. Waiting for God is no easy task, for the ticking of our clocks make for a noisy racket with intercepting memories and painful regrets.
Sybil King, an author of her time, a woman of substance, once admired, adored and loved by men, finds herself cheated and abandoned by her daughters and left to rot in a retirement retreat. Where once the world was at her fingertips, she now seems to be barely touching the world or her nearest and dearest. There is life, it seems, in old age; for she befriends a group of like-minded women, together they form a poker club wickedly called Wretched Women, or WW for short. Here the women break all the warden’s rules by sneaking in alcohol and cigarettes and use foul language as a form of rebellion, while reminiscing on past lives. The headmistress and her twisted past, the actress who has loved and murdered, the Moroccan prostitute, the exotic dancer, the widow of an Arab brute and the television presenter who is confused about her gender; these are the fine members of society that make up the WW. We reap what we sow, so be very careful; because the fruits of our labour come not as the organic delights to be enjoyed, but thoughts, memories and lurid shadows which follow us around and see us into our graves.




My Two Cents

Wretched Women is a beautifully written tale about karma and regret.The book follows Sybil King, and her colorful poker buddies as they relive their tumultuous lives. Sammar has a stunning writing style that has a mature fairy tale rhythm to it. I was transported to a world I've never been before, but it felt familiar and cozy to me. I had a smile on my face for the majority of the read. I felt as if I was right in the corner of the room with these women, watching the scenes play out as I sipped my wine. I enjoyed the passion, guilt, and audacity of the "Wretched Women," and I am sure you will too!

 
  5 STARS
  1. EXCELLENT PLOT
  2. CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
  3. GOOD PACING AND SPEED
  4. PAGE TURNING SUSPENSE
  5. NO EDITING ISSUES
Review Copy Purchased by Reviewer
Review Posted to Amazon

Post a Comment

0 Comments