Defeating the Victim Mindset

I know how to throw a kick ass pity party extravaganza!


Hello my name is Julia Press Simmons, and sometimes I can feel extremely sorry for myself... but I am getting a handle on that! 

I run a few companies, hold down a full time job, struggle with a weight loss journey, blog, edit, and publish. At times it can be very hard to find balance, or squeeze in a little time for myself, and in my case (probably most peoples case) that is a recipe for disaster. 

After a while the pressure gets to me, and then every little freaking thing starts to get to me, and I start to take shit super personal. Slowly, but surely, I begin to brood. I get moody, grumpy, and ultimately depressed. I lose sight of what's important. I lose sight of my blessings, and then I have a pity party with all the trimmings.

It's been a long time since this has happened to me. I am a faithful passenger on the positivity train. I pray often and try to remain grateful; however, the past few weeks have been crazy busy and super stressful. For every win I experienced two or three losses and I began to feel defeated. 

I know enough about negative thinking, and having a victim mindset, to know that I couldn't sit in these feelings. I had to fight and fight quickly. I hit the web and begin to search for methods to turn my frown upside down. I found 3 easy steps at www.entrepreneur.com 



HOW TO TRAIN YOUR BRAIN TO STAY POSITIVE
by Nodia Goodman

you can read the full article here

1. Express gratitude. 

Negative events loom large unless you consciously balance them out. "When you're faced with challenges, it's important to take stock of what's going well," Della Porta says. Thinking about the good in your life can help balance that bias, giving your brain the extra time it needs to register and remember a positive event.

2. Repeat positive affirmations. 

As any politician or advertiser knows, the more often you hear a message, the more likely you are to believe it. The same goes for messages about who you are and what you are capable of doing. By repeating positive affirmations with conviction several times each morning, you are training your brain to believe them. "Over time, you'll start to internalize them," Della Porta says. Repeat your affirmations silently if you feel self-conscious.

3. Challenge negative thoughts. 

Each time a negative thought arises, we choose how to respond. If left to our own devices, we tend to dwell. Our brains home in on negative events so they seem much bigger and more significant than they are. To combat that, start by imagining the thought as separate from yourself, as something you can observe and deconstruct. "Get in the habit of distancing yourself instead of dwelling," Della Porta says.
Here is a nifty video that will help you stay on the positivity train even when shit goes south!

Post a Comment

0 Comments