Book Drama ~ Author Spotlight ~ B. Berry






When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Like most writers, I’ve always loved to read and I daydreamed of one day writing a book. After a few half-attempts, I put my pen down. It wasn’t until my children were grown and my disability required me to leave the work force that I realized my dream and became published for the first time in 2007.

How long does it take you to write a book?

   I’m a pretty slow writer, because I’m a procrastinator, so it usually takes about a year to complete a full-length novel.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?

I love writing during the wee hours best. The quiet at that time is somehow different. I do write during the day at times when my mind is racing with colorful scenes 

 What is your latest release and what's next? 

 My latest release is a murder mystery called COLD SERIAL. It’s the second in the COLD series, the first being COLD CRAZY. But I’d like to push my book entitled CLOTHESLINE BLUES because it’s a book I’ve been trying desperately to get into the hands of readers.
 I’m working on my fifth novel entitled LILAC ROAD. Although my chosen genre is murder mysteries, I’ve always wanted to write a romance novel. The problem is someone ends up being murdered. Maybe next time!  







CLOTHESLINE BLUES by B. Berry is a story of two women searching for peace in their lives while trying to make a life during the Jim Crow days. Back then, black people were not afforded the services that white people took for granted. So when they began to have trouble in their marriages, no one came to the rescue when things became abusive.

While the events of Bloody Sunday swirl around in the background of their world and The Movement came to their doorsteps, they joined forces, forgoing all morals and keeping each other’s secrets, they manage to pull off the unbelievable. Will these two women get the peace they each so desperately seek?

I’d love to hear from readers. I can be reached on Facebook under the name Barbara Grovner, by email at babshtc@gmail.com or you can visit my website at www.bberrybooks.com. All books are available at Amazon.com in paperback and for Ereaders.



EXCERPT

“Woman, these potatoes are cold! When are you going to learn to get all the food to the table at the same time? Everything is supposed to be hot, not just this or that! Everything!” Frank’s voice boomed throughout the room like thunder, the silverware rattled loudly as he slammed his meaty hand on the table to make his point. He was sitting at the large oval dining room table with dinner fit for a king spread out before him. As usual, Hilda had cooked what he wanted to eat, yet he still was not satisfied. He glared menacingly at her, waiting until he had her full attention then he raised his eyebrows and cleared his throat arrogantly as if to remind her of what he’d just said.

Hilda was jolted out of her daydream, blinked her eyes, and returned to the present moment. She immediately thought of jumping up and walking out the door, covering her ears with both hands. But instead, she quietly and calmly took the bowl of mashed potatoes, carried it to the kitchen, and put them back into the pot on the stove. She turned the flame down low and leaned against the counter to wait for them to warm up. As she stirred the pot, she thought again about when she and Frank first got together, those days she thought she couldn’t get enough of him. She’d truly thought he was the answer to her grief and loneliness after her father had passed; she clung to him for dear life, relying on him to make her whole again, and for a while he did just that.
 




Post a Comment

0 Comments