Writing Methods

For the next few weeks we are going to discuss WRITING METHODS!!!

This weeks focus is on THE HERO'S JOURNEY

I am currently using this method to write my fantasy novels, and I absolutely love it. I'm an outline writer, and this particular device helps me to write my initial outline seamlessly and with great depth.

Back Ground (from Wikipedia)
In narratology and comparative mythology, the monomyth, or the hero's journey is the common template of a broad category of tales that involve a hero going on an adventure, and in a decisive crisis wins a victory, and then comes home changed or transformed.[1]
The concept was introduced by Joseph Campbell in The Hero with a Thousand Faces (1949)

Here are the steps of the hero journey and my rough outline template
 Let's jump write in (see what I did there lol)

1.        THE ORDINARY WORLD.  The hero, uneasy, uncomfortable or unaware, is introduced sympathetically so the audience can identify with the situation or dilemma.  The hero is shown against a background of environment, heredity, and personal history.  Some kind of polarity in the hero’s life is pulling in different directions and causing stress.
This is my intro chapters
Chapter 1 - you meet my hero in a struggle ( I start with action always)
Chapter 2-5 - I  give you a peek into there lives, their personality, and key players around them
 

2.        THE CALL TO ADVENTURE.  Something shakes up the situation, either from external pressures or from something rising up from deep within, so the hero must face the beginnings of change.  
 This is my drama chapters
Chapter 6-7 - I introduce the problem (sock it to the readers here with dynamic villains and a touch of romance
Chapter 9-12 - I focus on character flaws and dilemmas 

 
3.        REFUSAL OF THE CALL.  The hero feels the fear of the unknown and tries to turn away from the adventure, however briefly.  Alternately, another character may express the uncertainty and danger ahead.
This is my woe is me chapter
Chapter 13 - shit's fucked up and my character is having a pretty dramatic pity party


4.        MEETING WITH THE MENTOR.  The hero comes across a seasoned traveler of the worlds who gives him or her training, equipment, or advice that will help on the journey.  Or the hero reaches within to a source of courage and wisdom.
 This is my get it the hell together chapters
Chapter 14 -16 - The mentor appears, but my character grows up a bit and remember what the hell she's fighting for, what is the ultimate reason she's got to go on ( yes it's almost always a she with me)


5.        CROSSING THE THRESHOLD.  At the end of Act One, the hero commits to leaving the Ordinary World and entering a new region or condition with unfamiliar rules and values.  
forward march chapter!!!

6.        TESTS, ALLIES AND ENEMIES.  The hero is tested and sorts out allegiances in the Special World.
 Drama Action and Mayhem chapters 18 - 20 if you get these write you will avoid the center slump


7.        APPROACH.  The hero and newfound allies prepare for the major challenge in the Special world.
To Arms This is the set up for a major throw down Chapters 21-22

8.        THE ORDEAL.  Near the middle of the story, the hero enters a central space in the Special World and confronts death or faces his or her greatest fear.  Out of the moment of death comes a new life. 
These are the most important chapters to me. Transformation
Chapter 23- 25 My shero will go into battle and come out change. I will usually set up ultimatums with life or death consequences in these chapters. I will also kill or advance the romance

9.        THE REWARD.  The hero takes possession of the treasure won by facing death.  There may be celebration, but there is also danger of losing the treasure again.
Chapter 26 - 27 a little intrigue with my bad ass heroine. She has a new confidence and is ready to face whatever may come. I follow the next three steps to the letter. If you did the work in the previous steps The Road Back, The Resurrection and The triumphant return with the elixir will write them selves!

10.      THE ROAD BACK.  About three-fourths of the way through the story, the hero is driven to complete the adventure, leaving the Special World to be sure the treasure is brought home.  Often a chase scene signals the urgency and danger of the mission.
11.     THE RESURRECTION.  At the climax, the hero is severely tested once more on the threshold of home.  He or she is purified by a last sacrifice, another moment of death and rebirth, but on a higher and more complete level.  By the hero’s action, the polarities that were in conflict at the beginning are finally resolved.

12.       RETURN WITH THE ELIXIR.  The hero returns home or continues the journey, bearing some element of the treasure that has the power to transform the world as the hero has been transformed.

HERE IS MY FAVORITE YOUTUBE VIDEO THAT EXPLAINS THE JOURNEY IN LIVING COLOR


 



 see you next week when we explore the SNOWFLAKE METHOD

Post a Comment

0 Comments